Taylor Fritz Breaks 15-Year Drought: First American in US Open Finals Since Roddick!

Taylor Fritz Breaks 15-Year Drought: First American in US Open Finals Since Roddick!

Seattle Times reports that Taylor Fritz had to romp the stated determination of Frances Tiafoe from two sets down bucking the trend of the tied three games at 4-6, 7-5, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 in a thrilling semifinal at the US Open.

Roger Federer’s epic Wimbledon victory over Andy Roddick in 2009, remains the last American, English-speaking male tennis player to achieve a Grand Final performance.

In addition, Roddick is also the last American who claimed the US Open title which he did in 2003 prior to American drought of winners at this tournament and since.

Fritz remarked, “It is just happiness, like when the crowd applauds and that sudden realisation, wow, I’m in the finals of the U.S. Open.” ‘After creating the history, he exclaimed.

‘My whole life I have worked for this, and now it’s here. It’s always been such a misplaced dream. It’s like a dream you really know it won’t happen deeply in you. And Children, I just sort of like realising that got me a little bit choked up.’ He continued.

“In the finals of the U.S. Open, that’s why I do what I do. That’s why I put in so much effort. Those words tumbled out of Fritz, overwhelmed by uneasiness.”

The 8th of September will be Shelley’s day as she takes on Jannik Sinner for the title of the US Open and makes the country wait 21 years for a player like her to emerge.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post