Novak Djokovic Moves to US Open 3rd Round as Laslo Djere Withdraws

Novak Djokovic Moves to US Open 3rd Round as Laslo Djere Withdraws


Novak Djokovic has advanced to the third round of the US Open after Laslo Djere withdrew from their scheduled match. The unexpected withdrawal means Djokovic will move forward without stepping on the court against Djere, further solidifying his strong performance in the tournament. Fans are eager to see how Djokovic continues to play as the competition intensifies.

Novak Djokovic, the Paris Olympic gold champion, advanced to the third round of the US Open after Laslo Djere quit in the third set.


According to the US Open, defending champion Djokovic was 6-4, 6-4, 2-0 when Djere announced his retirement due to injury on Wednesday, August 28, at Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Following the 29-year-old Serb's retirement, the 24 Grand Slam winner won his 90th match at the US Open.

The 37-year-old Serbian tennis player said, "It is not what we want to see. He's an excellent player in these conditions, and the second set should have been his; he led 4-2."

He continued, "It was a long fight, nearly two hours for two sets. I served poorly. Without a serve, you'll have to grind and run. "I had to rely on my baseline game."

After progressing to the next round, Djokovic stated, "Of course, I have to be happy with a win, and in the important moments, I played one more ball over the nett than him."

He added, "The matches will only get tougher from here. But I will be OK. I'll find my way, like I have numerous times during my career."

Djokovic will now face Australian tennis player Alexei Popyrin in round three.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post